Thursday, March 15, 2018

Saskatoon - March, 2018

I went to Saskatoon from March 5-14 and did get out for a few photo excursions. I recently bought a Neutral Density Filter and experimented with that a few times.

Here's the first one, taken on March 6 at 7:15 p.m. (25 minutes after sunset) on  McKercher Drive.



This one I took on March 7 at 7:20 p.m.



Before I took the above photo, I took this one of some cat tails at 6:25 p.m.



On March 10 I went for a walk in the afternoon through one of the wonderful parks near my sister's house. More cat tails.



On March 10 we were at my nephew's house on an acreage just outside of Saskatoon and I slipped out to capture the sunset.



On March 11, I went for a walk along the Meewasin Trail near the U of S. I arrived about 1/2 an hour before sunset and started shooting the setting sun, framing it between buildings on the opposite bank of the river. I kept having to tromp through the snow to keep the sun framed as it was moving to my right. Luckily, it was a beautiful night, with temperatures just below freezing.







After the sunset, I walked quickly to the railroad bridge and started shooting as I walked along the pedestrian walkway. I was surprised at the number of people out for a stroll.
I took this one at 7:30, about 1/2 hour after sunset.



Then I continued ambling across the bridge, stopping along the way to capture the scene.













After I walked down to the trail, I headed towards my car, and shot this one at 7:52.







And my last shot was at 8:10 p.m. A much longer twilight here than there was in Nicaragua last month, that's for sure!
I zoomed in a little closer on this last shot, positioning the boat at an intersection of the rule of thirds.


The next night, March 12, I went back to the riverbank, but this time across from the Bessborough Hotel, (aka "The Castle on the River"). I wasn't too happy with my photos of the setting sun, though, as I didn't get in a good position in time (scouting the site ahead of time would have been a good idea). But I did get some nice ones after sun set.



The "Castle on the River."
My last day in Saskatoon, the 13th, I got some shots of nice hoarfrost.



Saskatoon has wonderful parks and the city even clears the sidewalks in the winter!



I returned home on the 14th and admired the view as the plane gained altitude. I like the patterns in the snow.



And that's it for now!

9 comments:

  1. Lovely photos! I love the castle on the river :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John. Love all the colour and the reflections. Arlene B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Susann... Love love the castle on the river. Love the snow shots too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures will encourage many to seriously consider Saskatoon as a retirement destination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures, John. I love the cat tails

    ReplyDelete