Monday, September 5, 2016

Magical Macro

Last week I purchased a set of electronic extension tubes - a 10mm and a 16mm. An inexpensive way to do macro. I find that with my 16-50 mm lens I only need the 10 mm tube. I received the tubes last Thursday morning, and in the afternoon I just went out near our house on Stephenson Point to see what I could find.

It had rained earlier, and some raindrops on a spider's web caught my eye:



Then, I tried an F/16 of this dune tansy.


And of course there were ample blackberries.


rose hips,



Oregon grape,



and maple leaves.



And then on the way home I photographed the mugo pine cone in a neighbour's yard:



This shot looks much different than the close-up I took on Tuesday:



Then, Friday afternoon I went down to Piper's Lagoon at low tide and I rearranged some shells and barnacles for "still lifes:"







And then I peered into a shallow tidal pool and was amazed at all the life!



On Saturday, I went to Linley Valley, up on a ridge at the end of Prince John Way. Some arbutus bark caught my eye:





And then this seed cluster that was catching the sun's rays:



And the variety of plants in what I had thought was merely moss:



And after many hopping pursuits I finally managed to get a shot of a grasshopper:



And then I pulled out my water spritzer and sprayed some plants. First, these arbutus berries:



This oak leaf with the tiny spider and web:


This interesting fungus (?) on a tree trunk:


And some more Oregon grape:



And lastly, these salal berries:



I love the way you can see the water droplets on the berries! And you'd never see the drops without the macro.

So now, I can walk somewhere that I've walked countless times before and make "new" photos. Over and over again!

5 comments:

  1. Great selection of great photos, John. Wonderful colour! Arlene B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice John - good eye for detail & macro composition with great colors -- Dave T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos.
    Must be having fun.

    Little Bro

    ReplyDelete