Monday, May 16, 2016

Gaggles of Canada Geese at Neck Pt.

Today I had a really cool experience. I was ambling around Neck Pt. this morning with my dog Chica, and I only took my little point-and-shoot because I didn't want to go too crazy with the photos. I came to the point overlooking Sunset Beach and sat down, hoping to get a shot of a gull gliding. I sat and waited, and waited, and then around the corner came two gaggles of geese, with 23 goslings! The first ones I'd seen this year.




I had the camera on rapid fire, and just kept shooting, and as they got around the corner an otter suddenly surfaced in front of them, and the parents quickly "circled the wagons,"



 and at first headed for the safety of some rocks,



but these proved too small for the whole group, so they headed to shore



where the adults stood guard.



Then, after about a minute, they headed off on their way, safely it seemed, at least for the time being.



2

The whole event took less than four minutes. A lot of activity for that short of a time!

2 comments:

  1. How cool to catch the action (reaction) of the families!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look after each other's young. No wonder Canada Geese are becoming so many. They aren't native to the Island so I wonder how their high numbers are affecting the balance of nature?

    ReplyDelete